Electrifying Somaliland

1 Like

I am sceptical about these people who are bringing foreign private enterprises. Often the private gains outweigh what these do for the country and people in general. So in that case, we need the gov’t to fully check and see what is in it for the country instead of what is in it for these few middle-men.

With regards to electricity, the best option at this moment for us is to import electricity from Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Grid reaches Togwachale which is 60-70km from Hargeisa.

I think they are at the point of throwing everything but the sink at the issue. They have been too complacent in relying on generators because diesel prices have been relatively low for near enough a decade (not to mention they supply the diesel in the first place in the case of Sompower). But now that prices have gone out of control they run around like headless chicken.

I think they are running into headwinds with the Ethiopia option just like with the trade agreement. Ethiopia has a lot of issues to deal with internally, and if this option ever materialises we are looking at 5-10 years unless greater powers get involved and expedite it (US, EU and even UAE).

This is where Taiwan could have stepped in more directly in my view. Their involvement in Somaliland has been tepid at best.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like